Easy cheesy chicken enchiladas made with a spicy homemade tomato sauce. Great for a weeknight dinner when you are craving something spicy. #chicken #cheese #enchiladas #familydinners #easymeals #spicy
- 15–20 medium-sized corn tortillas
- 2–3 skinless large chicken breasts
- 1 medium red onion (diced)
- 1 handful cilantro
- 3–4 cloves of garlic
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (400 g/14 oz)
- Cheese (whichever kind you like best and as much or as little as you like)
- 1 L (~4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Mexican chile powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Put the chicken broth in a medium-sized pot or saucepan, bring to boil.
- Add chicken and cook up the meat is fully cooked (no longer pink and the internal temperature has reached 165F/75C).
- Take out chicken and place on a plate to cool.
- While the chicken is cooling, blend tomatoes, 1/2 of the red onion, a small handful of cilantro, garlic, Mexican chile pepper, cumin and oregano together together in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add tomato mixture to the remaining chicken broth in the pot. Stir together, increase the temperature to high and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes on low heat.
- After 10-15 min of simmering, add lime juice and cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon of water. Stir and let bubble for 2-3 minutes then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While enchilada sauce is cooking, start shredding the boiled chicken by tearing it apart with your hands. Be careful to let the chicken cool before shredding.
- To assemble the enchiladas, sprinkle the diced red onion in the center of the enchilada and top with shredded chicken.
- Roll the tortilla with chicken and onion inside up and place (open side down) in a baking tray. _Tip: If you don’t want the tortillas to get soggy and melt into the sauce, do what my mom does: just dip a tortilla in hot oil and fry it for 5-10 sec, remove from oil, let drain, then assemble the enchilada._
- Repeat until the entire baking tray is full.
- Top with enchilada sauce, sprinkle with shredded cheese and place in the oven at 450F/220C until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
- Sprinkle with some fresh cilantro on top as a garnish and serve.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Main, Chicken
- Method: simmering, broiling
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Enchiladas, chicken, cheese, enchiladas sauce, spicy, tomatoes