Tips and tricks for how to make the juiciest pan-roasted chicken which is best served with a generous helping of delicious sour cream mushroom sauce. #chicken #sourcream # sauce #mushrooms #panroasted
1 whole chicken or 4 large chicken breasts with the skin on
1 tsp of sea salt
1 tsp of sugar
1 tbsp of butter
6–8 chestnut mushrooms (sliced)
2 shallots (finely chopped)
3 cloves of garlic (finely minced)
1 tbsp of flour
240 ml (8 oz) of chicken broth
120 ml (4 oz) of white wine
a pinch of fresh thyme sprigs
3 tbsp of sour cream
- Mix salt and sugar together in a small bowl until well combined.
- Using a sharp knife, break down the chicken by cutting it into 6 pieces ( 2 chicken breasts, 2 legs with thighs attached, and 2 wings). Wrap up the chicken carcass and put it in the freezer. You can use this carcass later to make chicken stock. If you are using chicken breasts, omit this step.
- Lightly sprinkle the salt and sugar combination over the chicken pieces. Make sure to evenly coat the chicken on both sides. Place on a plate lined with paper towels, cover it, and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. When ready to cook, remove chicken from the fridge and allow it to warm up to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 220 C / 450 F or 200 C /400 F with a fan.
- In a large frying pan, add 1 tbsp of butter and let cook until melted over medium-high heat. Place chicken pieces skin side down into the pan and fry on medium-high heat until slightly browned on both sides. This should usually take 5-8 minutes on each side.
- Remove browned pieces of chicken and place them in an oven-proof tray. Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 75 C / 165 F (make sure you invest in a good meat thermometer).
- While chicken is roasting in the oven, work on the creamy mushroom sauce. Over medium heat, add diced shallots and saute until softened and transparent If the pan is a little dry, feel free to add another 1 tbsp of butter to the pan.
- Once shallots are soft, add the sliced mushrooms and cook until dark brown.
- Add 1 tbsp of flour and stir into the softened shallots. Let cook for a minute or two. Slowly add chicken broth, stirring as you go until sauce is smooth and there are no more lumps. Add white wine, thyme sprigs, and finely minced garlic.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce heat to low or whatever produces a slow simmer. Let simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Next, add 3 tbsps of sour cream and stir together. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste then turn off the heat and serve. Drizzle the creamy mushroom sauce over the pan-roasted chicken and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main, Chicken
- Method: Pan-roasting, simmering
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: chicken, pan-roasted chicken, mushroom sauce, mushrooms, forestiere sauce, sour cream, white wine, thyme, garlic, shallots