A beautiful plate of food
No more dull and lifeless vegetable side dishes – this is a plate of food meant to impress. This recipe for roasted red peppers is simple and delicious. Take some bell peppers, roast them on the stove or in the oven then season with Balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Top them with some tangy crumbles of goat’s cheese (aka chevre) and add some crunch with slightly crushed sweet honey roasted almonds. Not only is it stunning to look at but this beauty has got the goods to back it up.
Don’t be afraid to roast peppers. It is very easy. Just roast the bell peppers on an open flame or throw them under the broiler. Set aside and let it steam in their own heat. Once cool to the touch, peel, and de-seed the peppers. It’s not too difficult at all and well worth it for the taste alone. Plus, they are good for you!
Eat your greens and reds, yellows and oranges! Eat the rainbow.
What do you think of when you think of vegetables? Do flashbacks of your childhood spring up? A stern parent pointing their finger at you while threatening no dessert if you don’t finish your greens? Does your imagination conjure up something dull, lifeless and tasteless? Something frozen or from a can? Something you eat first so that you can get it over with?
What a tragic way to remember vegetables especially since there is so much variety and different ways to bring out the flavor in each and every morsel. In my opinion, some veg is overlooked while others are overused (asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli). No disrespect to the ever-popular vegetables du jour but sometimes I need a little bit more pizzazz. Wow me with something different.
Roasted red bell peppers seasoned with balsamic vinegar and olive oil then topped with crumbles of goat cheese and crushed honey roasted almonds. #sidedish #vegetarian #healthyrecipes #vegetables #roasted
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1–2 oz (25 – 50 g) of French Goat’s Cheese (aka chevre)
- a handful of honey roasted almonds (lightly crushed)
- 1–2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1–2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry the red bell peppers. Blister peppers over high heat either over an open flame on the grill or do what I do and put it under the broiler.
- When the skin has blistered and browned from the high heat, remove from heat. Wrap peppers up in a paper bag or put them in a lidded container. Close up bag or container and let steam.
- When peppers are cool to the touch, remove stem, seeds inside and skin.
- Cut into quarters.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Place red pepper strips on a plate and top with crumbled chevre, crushed honey roasted almonds and a swig or two of extra virgin olive oil.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: starter, side dish, vegetarian
- Method: roasting
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: side dish, roasted, vegetables, red bell peppers, vegetarian, cheese, almonds
Colorful Vegetable Recipes to Brighten your Diet: