Just how easy are these taco beans and what can I do with them?
These taco beans are great as a side dish, paired with Spanish rice, sprinkled on nachos with lots of cheese and fresh salsa or even eaten plain on its own with some hot sauce, avocado and tortilla chips.
Just sauté some onions and garlic together, add the beans, chicken broth and taco seasoning then bubble away until most of the water is gone, leaving everything coated in delicious spice.
To refry or not to refry?
If you are like me and never really cared for refried beans then you’ll probably opt out for a healthy heaping of whole frijoles negros (black beans) instead.
However, as much as I love my black beans, I simply don’t have the time to make them properly and do them justice (AND they need to be done justice).
Couple this with the fact that the proper black beans to make frijoles do not exactly grow in the hedgerows around this part of the world. I’m lucky if I can get some masa harina to make corn tortillas with.
So what is a cook to do? Improvise with canned goods apparently. Those cans of Borlotti beans are surprisingly versatile.
No, it’s not a proper substitute for the real frijoles cooked for hours with love and care. But does it satiate my craving? And does it do it without too much faff and time? You betcha’!
10 Minutes or Less Easy Taco Beans
- Total Time: 15 minutes
These easy taco beans are perfect as a side dish or paired with rice, sprinkled on nachos or eaten with salsa & tortilla chips on their own.. #sidedish #beans #TexMex #taco #easysidedish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 1 400 g / 14 oz can of Borlotti beans
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Over medium/medium-high heat, add olive oil, diced onion and minced garlic to a small/medium-sized saucepan. Cook until onion is transparent.
- Wash and drain canned Borlotti beans.
- Add chicken broth, beans and taco seasoning. Stir to combine and increase heat. Bring to a boil.
- Boil for a minute or so, then reduce heat to low/medium-low and simmer at a low boil until most of the water has evaporated (should be about 5-8 minutes).
- When most of the water has evaporated, turn off the heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste then transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh cilantro, sliced avocado or both.
Try not to stir the beans too much as this will most likely break them. Instead shake or swirl the pan or carefully stir with a rubber spatula.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: taco beans, beans, easy side dish, taco seasoning, Borlotti beans
More bean recipes to spice things up:
Yemini Inspired Spicy Lamb and Butter Bean Stew
Spanish Style Chorizo and Borlotti Bean Stew
Slow Roasted Pork Belly with Chorizo Cassoulet
Vegetarian Bean and Cheese Crispy Burritos