Pizza, pasta and more
This tomato basil sauce is as versatile as it is quick and easy to make. Use it as a base for your homemade pizza or pour it over some pasta for a quick meal. I personally love it spooned over crispy eggplant to make Egglant Parmesan.
To make it, just take some smashed garlic cloves and cook them in olive oil until fragrant. Then add some stewed tomatoes, oregano, a touch of sugar and fresh basil. Let cook for a minute or so the blitz with a blender or food processor. Easy. Done. Eat.
The little boss at home will like it
I don’t know about you but my 2-year-old is my biggest critic. If the scrambled eggs aren’t to her liking, she’ll leave them untouched. If the roast chicken isn’t freshly cooked, it is not up to snuff. She doesn’t like leftovers. She won’t eat any pasta in a cream sauce.
The fish BETTER be cooked properly!
NO RED MEAT!
DON’T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT AND WHY CAN’T YOU COOK IT FASTER?!?!?!
This little boss at home does, however, love pasta. She could eat it every day and, thinking about it, she probably does.
As a result of this, I have gotten quite good at making her favorite recipes both perfectly and quickly. One of her favorite recipes is this tomato basil sauce. Don’t believe me? Look at her little hand stealing a strand of spaghetti while I try to take a photo.
Luckily for me, this easy tomato basil sauce is cheap to make, easy to throw together and always a crowd/kid-pleaser that even the adults enjoy. Overall, it’s a win-win.
Pour this tomato basil sauce over your favorite pasta or use it as a base to a pizza. A quick and easy recipe for both kids and adults to enjoy. #kidfood #healthyrecipes #easymeals #pasta #pizza
- 4–6 cloves of garlic (smashed with the side of your knife)
- 2–3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 400 g (14 oz) can of stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 1 tsp sugar
- a handful of Fresh Basil leaves (about 50 g)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, add smashed garlic to olive oil and cook over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes until the garlic has started to infuse into the oil and is fragrant. Be watchful when doing this as the garlic can burn quickly.
- Open up a can of canned tomatoes, transfer it to a bowl and crush it up with your hands as much as you can. Add to garlic and olive oil along with 1/2 cup (120 ml) of water.
- Bubble away for a minute or two until all ingredients have married together.
- Using your hands, tear up basil leaves and add to the sauce.
- Stir and cook for a minute or so then add 1 tsp of sugar. Cook for an additional minute.
- Take off stove and blend together using a blender, immersion blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer back to the stove and cook for a minute or two. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Goes well over your choice of pasta or as a base for pizza.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Sauce, Pasta
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: easy, quick, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, tomato, basil, tomato sauce
Other tasty vegan recipes to try: