Tender strips of chicken fried with crisp bell peppers & onions then seasoned with the comforting heat of Mexican chili & cumin. A quick & easy healthy recipe. #chicken #healthyrecipes #familydinners #quickrecipes #fajitas #TexMex
- 4 med-large chicken breasts
- 2 large yellow onions
- 3 bell peppers (whichever color you prefer)
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- squeeze of fresh lime juice
- 8–12 tortillas
- sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 11/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp Mexican Chile powder
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- Combine sugar, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cornstarch, cumin, Mexican chili powder and oregano together.
- Mix until evenly combined.
- Cut chicken breasts into strips.
- Slice onions about 1 cm (0.5 in) thick.
- Cut peppers into strips about 1 cm (0.5 in) thick. Roughly the same size as the onions.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat oil over high heat.
- When oil is hot, carefully add strips of chicken.
- Cook chicken on high heat until no longer pink.
- Add peppers and onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until it is cooked but still crisp.
- Add 1/4 cup (60 ml) of water and sprinkle on homemade seasoning.
- Stir until everything is evenly coated in spice.
- Cook for an additional minute or two until sauce has thickened.
- Turn off heat and top with a squeeze of fresh lime.
- Serve in warm tortillas with fresh salsa, guacamole or sliced avocados.
- Category: Tex Mex, Mains, chicken
- Method: Pan Fried
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: Tex Mex, fajitas, easy recipes, quick recipes, homemade seasoning, cumin, Mexican chili powder