The evolving chicken fajitas recipe
Let me preface this by saying that I know fajitas were originally made with skirt steak. Some food purists would argue that steak is the only way to have fajitas but I disagree. You gotta change with the times if you stay current and fajitas NEED to stay current. They are tasty, they are easy to make and who doesn’t love the smell of peppers and onions with meat fried in Mexican spices?
Every child for herself
Growing up, I didn’t get much of a chance to eat chicken fajitas. This wasn’t because my mom was unaware of the Mexican dish. In fact, she often made it at home for us kids as a treat. Still, I only vaguely remember getting the occasional chance to feast on them because my older brother devoured everything in sight in a matter of mere minutes.
Fajitas were his favorite boyhood dish and God help anyone who got in the way of his gorging. When we ate chicken fajitas at home, everyone had to eat with their elbows on the table, guarding their plate prison-style, ever mindful of an outside hand encroaching on your dining space. It was every mother and child for herself.
Chicken fajitas for everyone!
Now that I’m older with a family of my own, I make sure everyone gets their fair share. No longer do we need to battle for onions scraps and make do with what sauce we could soak up with a tortilla.
My fajitas are plentiful and have tender chicken strips, crisp peppers and onions all seasoned with the comforting heat of Mexican chili and cumin. No need to fight, people. There’s plenty for everyone.
Plus, this healthy recipe is easy to throw together in a hurry once you have your spice mix combined. Just slice the chicken into strips, chop up some peppers and onions and fry together with that homemade seasoning. Just like that, you will have an easy dinner in no time.
Dinner in a Hurry Spicy Chicken Fajitas
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-5 1x
Chicken fajitas fried with crisp bell peppers & onions then seasoned in a comforting heat of Mexican chili & cumin. A quick & easy healthy recipe.#chicken #healthyrecipes #familydinners #quickrecipes #fajitas #TexMex
- 4 med-large chicken breasts
- 2 large yellow onions
- 3 bell peppers (whichever color you prefer)
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- a squeeze of fresh lime juice
- 8–12 tortillas
- sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 11/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp Mexican Chile powder
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- Combine sugar, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cornstarch, cumin, Mexican chili powder and oregano together.
- Mix until evenly combined.
- Cut chicken breasts into strips.
- Slice onions about 1 cm (0.5 in) thick.
- Cut peppers into strips about 1 cm (0.5 in) thick. Roughly the same size as the onions.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat oil over high heat.
- When the oil is hot, carefully add strips of chicken.
- Cook chicken on high heat until no longer pink.
- Add peppers and onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until it is cooked but still crisp.
- Add 1/4 cup (60 ml) of water and sprinkle on homemade seasoning.
- Stir until everything is evenly coated in spice.
- Cook for an additional minute or two until the sauce has thickened.
- Turn off heat and top with a squeeze of fresh lime.
- Serve in warm tortillas with fresh salsa, guacamole or sliced avocados.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Tex Mex, Mains, chicken
- Method: Pan Fried
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: Tex Mex, fajitas, easy recipes, quick recipes, homemade seasoning, cumin, Mexican chili powder
Spice it up with these Tex-Mex recipes:
Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas with Red Sauce
Arroz con Pollo (Mexican Chicken with Rice)
Chiles Rellenos (Fried Chilis stuffed with Cheese)