What to do when you want to make a sexy dessert for someone who just isn’t that into chocolate? Simple, just use dulce de leche instead!
This heavenly concoction is made from slow cooking sweetened condensed milk for hours. The result is sticky, carmelized seduction in a can. You can dip apple slices in it, swirl it with vanilla ice cream, drizzle it over pies or crumbles or do what I do and make it into a cupcake.
Top it with a tart strawberry sauce with a hint of mint and damn…you got a cupcake that tastes like sin. Pair it with vanilla ice cream, fresh strawberries, a fine Scottish whisky and good company and you’ve got yourself one hell of a dessert.
Dulce de Leche Cupcakes with A Strawberry and Mint Sauce
Dulce de Leche cupcakes
- 500g / 2 cups dulce de leche (for instructions on how to make dulce de leche from sweet and condensed milk, go here
- 100g/ 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 eggs (egg whites and yolks separated)
- muffin tin or medium sized cake pan
- cupcake wrappers (optional)
Strawberry and Mint Sauce
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- a sprig of fresh mint (about 5 leaves)
Dulce de leche cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 175C/350F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine sea salt, baking powder and flour together. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a larger bowl, combine melted butter with dulce de leche until smooth.
- Add yolks one at a time and mix until fully incorporated into the mix.
- Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Whisk egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks have formed. When it resembles whipped cream and no liquid remains, you are done.
- Carefully fold in half of egg white mixture into cake mix. When properly folded together, add remaining egg white mixture and fold together. Mixture should be fluffy and uniform in color.
- Grease muffin tin or a medium sized cake pan with butter. If you are using cupcake wrappers, don’t grease.
- Pour mixture into muffin tins or pan and place in oven.
- For cupcakes cook for 15-20 minutes at 350F/ 175C or until it comes clean when poked with a toothpick or fork in the center. For a cake, cook 45 min – 1 hour or until center is cooked and comes clean when poked with a toothpick or fork.
- Take out of oven and let cool.
- Top with your favorite frosting or sauce.
Strawberry and Mint Sauce
- Combine sliced strawberries, water, sugar, lemon juice and mint in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and let cook for 5 minutes. Whisk to break down the strawberries, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer until you’ve reached the desired consistency. Sauce should be smooth and reduced slightly. Let cool and remove mint leaves and stem.