Salty fried chicken tossed with red chili, scallions, onions and a touch of vinegar. A tasty combination of flavors you can’t resist. #chicken #fried #spicy
- 2 boneless chicken legs or 4 boneless chicken thighs
- 3/4 TBSP sugar
- 3/4 TBSP sea salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg mixed with 2 tbsp of water
- 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- oil for frying
- a handful of scallions (base chopped off, white parts plus 1-2 inches of green stem)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 2 small red chilis (chopped) or 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or rice wine vinegar (optional)
- Mix 3/4 tablespoon of sea salt with 3/4 tbsp of sugar and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken chops with the salt sugar mix.
- Place over a grate or sieve with a container underneath to catch the liquid that drains off. Chill in the refrigerator for 2-5 hours.
- When ready for cooking, rinse chicken with water in order to remove excess salt and sugar. Drain excess water off and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut into pieces no bigger than 1 in/ 2 cm squared.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and black pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat 1 egg with 2 tbsp of water.
- Dip chicken pieces in cornstarch/flour mixture, then beaten egg, then flour once more.
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat a generous amount of oil over medium high heat. When oil is hot (you’ll know if you drop a little bit of batter into it and the oil bubbles around it), shake excess flour off meat and add chicken.
- Keep oil hot but not so hot that the outside burns before the center is cooked. Keep the oil at a steady medium high heat with a fairly moderate bubble. Nothing too hot or with a furious sizzle.
- When chicken is golden brown on all sides (about 5-7 minutes), remove from oil and drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large wok over high heat.
- Add chopped chilis, scallions, and sliced onion. Mix and stir fry for a minute, then add fried chicken pieces. Stir fry for a minute together, then turn off heat and cover. Be careful of the fumes given off from the fried chilis.
- Before serving, drizzle with 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice or vinegar (optional). Toss until evenly coated then serve.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Chicken, Asian, Fried, Spicy, Scallions