A quick and easy Russian dish of onions, mushrooms and beef sautéed together in a rich sour cream and Dijon gravy. An easy dish to throw together for a weeknight dinner. #easydinners #midweekmeals #familydinners #beef #mushrooms
- 1–2 medium yellow onions or 1 large onion (sliced)
- 2 shallots (sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 9–12 cremini mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 TBSP butter
- 300–400 g (10.5-14 oz) beef round eye steak or boneless rib eye (whichever you fancy)
- 4 oz (120 ml) cooking wine (I use sherry)
- 3/4 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 cup (240 ml) beef broth
- 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 4 TBSP sour cream
- 2 tsp cornstarch (optional)
- Slice steak into strips as thin as you can get it. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and let marinate in cooking wine for 20 min.
- Meanwhile, slice onions, garlic, shallots and mushrooms.
- Saute onions, shallots and garlic in butter over medium heat until soft.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 3-5 minutes until just beginning to brown.
- Add dried marjoram and stir. Cook for an addition 3-5 minutes until mushrooms are good and browned.
- Turn heat to high and add sliced steak and wine.
- Cook until most of the wine has evaporated. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add beef broth, bring to a boil
- Reduce to heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 TBSP of Dijon mustard. Stir and cook for a minute or so.
- Add sour cream, stir, cook for a minute or so then turn off heat and serve. If you find it is a little too thin for you liking, simply add 2 tsp of cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp of water to the sauce and let bubble for a minute or so until thickened.
- Goes well over egg noodles, steamed rice or mashed potatoes.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Russian/French
Keywords: Beef Stroganoff, beef, mushrooms, pasta, dinner, easy