Tender spiced lamb coated in Chinese Uygher spice and wrapped up in crunchy pastry. A taste of Xinjiang that you can’t resist! #lamb #pastry #appetizer #Chinesefoodrecipes #quickrecipes
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3 dried red chilies
- pinch of turmeric
- 14–18 large spring roll wrappers
- 500 g lamb (about 1 lb)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp ginger
- 4 tbsp garlic
- 8 tbsp melted butter
- a pinch of turmeric
- Combine all ingredients and lightly toast in a frying pan.
- Transfer to a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and combine until you get a powder.
- Keep in a cool, dry place for later use.
- Preheat oven to 450 F/ 220 F
- Cut up lamb into small bite-sized pieces. (NO bigger than 1 cm)
- Combine ginger, garlic and 4 tbsp of melted butter. Puree until a paste is formed.
- Toss ginger garlic paste and 2 tbsp of spice mix with the lamb until everything is evenly coated with the paste.
- Place a tablespoon of the lamb mixture at the bottom right-hand corner of the large spring roll wrapper.
- Fold up, fold left, fold up, then tuck the bottom underneath.
- Place on a baking tray.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to the remaining 4 tbsp of butter and mix.
- Brush parcels on both sides with turmeric butter.
- Bake in the oven (flap side down, of course) for 15-20 minutes or until parcels are crunchy and the lamb is cooked to your liking.
- Category: Lamb, Pastry
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Lamb, Pastry, Uyghur, appetizer, snack, quick, easy, spring roll wrappers