Imagine my delight when I discovered sumac spice. Before a year or two ago, I had no idea that this spice existed. Now I am fascinated with this lemony red spice. Sumac is primarily used in Middle Eastern cooking to add a bit of tartness to the dish. It is also one of the essential ingredients in za’atar, a spice mix used again in Middle Eastern cuisine and delicious mixed with olive oil and spread on flatbread.
The spice flows in this Sumac Roasted Vegetables dish
For this vegetarian recipe, I sprinkle a bit of sumac on eggplant, red bell pepper, cherry tomatoes and garlic and roast it in the oven with olive oil. The end result is a delicious and healthy side dish that is great when paired with lamb or hummus. You could even add some chickpeas to the mix for a vegetarian sheet pan dinner. Pair it with tasty pita, naan or soft flatbread and you’ll soon fall in love with these roasted sumac vegetables just like I did.
Sumac roasted vegetables topped with feta crumbles and parsley. An easy pan sheet vegetarian recipe that is great as a main, starter or side dish. #sidedish #vegetables #healthyrecipes #vegetarian
- 1 small to medium eggplant
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2–3 dozen cherry tomatoes
- 1 head of garlic
- 3–4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp crushed sumac
- 1–2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2–3 oz feta
- parsley or fresh mint leaves for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 450 F/220 C.
- Wash and dry eggplant. Cut into 1 cm/0.5 in thick slices.
- Wash and dry cherry tomatoes. Cut into halves.
- Wash and dry red bell pepper. Remove the seeds and cut into eight equal pieces.
- Remove garlic cloves from their shell.
- Put vegetables on a baking tray and evenly spread about.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper and sumac.
- Place in the oven and roast for 45-60 minutes. Check on the vegetables halfway through and if you find the eggplant is dry, lightly brush with water and continue cooking in the oven.
- When vegetables have finished cooking and are nicely caramelized from roasting, remove from oven.
- Drizzle with fresh lemon juice and sprinkle with feta and parsley or mint.
- Eat as a side dish to lamb or go vegetarian and pair it with hummus wrapped up in a tortilla, pita or naan bread.
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: Roasted Vegetables, feta, sumac, eggplant, tomatoes, red bell pepper, garlic
More roasted veg recipes to throw in the oven: