Imagine my delight when I discovered sumac. Before a year or two ago, I had no idea that this spice existed. Now I am fascinated with this lemony red spice. Sumac is primarily used in Middle Eastern cooking to add a bit of tartness to the dish. It is also one of the essential ingredients in za’atar, a spice mix used again in Middle Eastern cuisine and delicious mixed with olive oil and spread on flatbread.
The Spice must flow…
For this recipe, I sprinkle a bit of sumac on eggplant, red bell pepper, cherry tomatoes and garlic and roast it in the oven with olive oil. The end result is a delicious and healthy side dish that is great when paired with lamb or hummus. You could even add some chickpeas to the mix for a vegetarian sheet pan dinner. Pair it with tasty pita, naan or soft flatbread and you’ll soon fall in love with it just like I did.
An easy sheet pan side dish of roasted eggplant, tomatoes, red pepper and garlic drizzled with olive oil and dusted with lemony sumac, salt and pepper. #sidedish #vegetables #healthyrecipes #vegetarian
- 1 small to medium eggplant
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2–3 dozen cherry tomatoes
- 1 head of garlic
- 3–4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp crushed sumac
- 1–2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2–3 oz feta
- parsley or fresh mint leaves for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 450 F/220 C.
- Wash and dry eggplant. Cut into 1 cm/0.5 in thick slices.
- Wash and dry cherry tomatoes. Cut into halves.
- Wash and dry red bell pepper. Remove the seeds and cut into eight equal pieces.
- Remove garlic cloves from their shell.
- Put vegetables on a baking tray and evenly spread about.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper and sumac.
- Place in the oven and roast for 45-60 minutes. Check on the vegetables halfway through and if you find the eggplant is dry, lightly brush with water and continue cooking in the oven.
- When vegetables have finished cooking and are nicely caramelized from roasting, remove from oven.
- Drizzle with fresh lemon juice and sprinkle with feta and parsley or mint.
- Eat as a side dish to lamb or go vegetarian and pair it with hummus wrapped up in a tortilla, pita or naan bread.
- Category: Vegetables
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: Roasted Vegetables, feta, sumac, eggplant, tomatoes, red bell pepper, garlic
More roasted veg recipes to throw in the oven: