A hearty soup full of fresh vegetables & flavor. This carrot and leek soup is great as a starter or paired with a sandwich for a meal.#soup #leek #carrot #potato #vegetables
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 3–4 medium carrots (about 450g/ 2.5 cups diced)
- 4–5 leeks (about 4 cups chopped)
- 1 large potato (about 1 3/4 cup diced)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves (removed from stalk)
- 1 cup (240 ml) white wine
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (a little under a liter)
- 1/2 cup/ 120 ml cream
- Wash and peel carrots and potato. Diced in pieces about 1 cm large. Split leeks down the middle with a knife and run under cold water to wash. Dice the white part of the leeks and place in a bowl. Discard the green and tougher parts of the vegetable.
- Melt butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once melted, add thyme, minced garlic, carrot, leeks and potato.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir. Cover and leek cook on medium heat until vegetables are soft (this should be about 10-15 minutes). Make sure to check on it occasionally and give it a stir to prevent it from sticking and burning to the bottom.
- Once vegetables are soft, increase heat to high and add 1 cup of wine. Let bubble away on high heat for 2-3 minutes until the alcohol has cooked off and the mixture has reduced slightly.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 30-45 minutes.
- After simmering, turn off the heat and remove it from the stove. Puree with a hand blender or carefully transfer to a blender or food processor to puree.
- Once pureed, return to the soup pot and warm on medium heat. Add cream stir, and let cook for 3-5 minutes on low.
- Turn off heat and ladle into bowls. Serve with your favorite sandwich and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stew
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: Carrot, Potato, Soup, leek, vegetables