This karaage chicken recipe consists of boneless chicken meat marinated in garlic, ginger, soy sauce and cooking wine then dredged in cornstarch and fried.#chicken #japaneserecipes #fried
- 300–400 g (10.5 ~14 oz) boneless chicken thighs with skin
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 in/ 2 cm of ginger (washed and peeled)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cooking wine
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flour
- Oil for frying
- Puree ginger, garlic cloves, soy sauce and cooking wine together to make the marinade.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces no larger than 1 in/2 cm long.
- Pour marinade mixture over chicken thighs along with salt and sugar. Toss to evenly coat, cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for an hour.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour and cornstarch until evenly dispersed.
- Dredge marinated chicken in flour mixture.
- Heat a generous amount of frying oil in a large pan or wok over medium-high heat. You will know when the oil is hot enough for frying when you see sizzling when you add a drop of batter or dip the end of a wooden chopstick into the oil.
- When the oil is hot, add chicken and fry until golden brown and crispy on all sides. When chicken is nice and crispy, take out and drain on paper towels to soak up excess oil.
- Serve with lemon wedges, mayonnaise and shichimi togarashi powder.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Fried Chicken, Japanese, fried, karaage, tori karaage