A foolproof way to get creamy, cheesy Carbonara pasta each and every time. Perfect for a quick dinner when you want to indulge. #pasta #bacon #easydinners #familydinners #cheese #quickrecipes
- 8 strips of streaky bacon (or equal amounts pancetta, smoked pork belly or lardons)
- 1 small onion (thinly sliced)
- a pat of butter
- 400g pasta (spaghetti, linguine, or fettuccine work best)
- 5 egg yolks
- 200ml cream
- 2 tbsp chevre (goat’s cheese)
- Separate egg yolks from whites and put into a medium sized bowl.
- Add cream and 2 tbsp of chevre to the egg yolks and mix until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Cut bacon into smaller pieces (about 1 in/2 cm squared)
- In a large pan, cook bacon with thinly sliced onion and butter on medium heat. Cook until bacon is slightly crispy and onions have carmelized in the fat.
- Meanwhile, while bacon is cooking, fill a large pot with water. Bring to a boil over high heat and add pasta*. Cook until al dente or until you have achieved the desired texture. DO NOT DRAIN.
- When bacon has crisped and the pasta has cooked, turn heat to high. Take the pasta straight from the water and put into the saucepan with the bacon. Stir and let the pasta get coated in the bacon fat (about 2-3 minutes). Turn off heat.
- Add egg yolk mixture to pasta and toss to combine. The egg yolks and cream will quickly cook in the hot pan with the hot pasta and the chevre will coat everything in a cheesy deliciousness
- Eat and enjoy! Serves 2-4.
- Make sure to salt your pasta water. My rule is 1 tbsp of sea salt per 2 liters.
- If you find yourself with a lot of bacon grease, remove 1-2 tbsp. You don’t want anymore than 1 tbsp of fat from the bacon.
- Category: Pasta
- Cuisine: Italian/French
Keywords: Carbonara, pasta, bacon, quick, easy