Pork loin wrapped in bacon and roasted with apples and onions in a sage, garlic & cider sauce. Served with a creamy Dijon mustard gravy. #pork #easymeals #bacon #apple
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 can (320 ml / 10.8 oz) hard cider
- 400–500g (14-18 oz) pork loin
- 2–3 medium-sized granny smith apples (washed, quartered and with core removed)
- 2–3 medium-sized yellow onions (quartered with skin and ends removed)
- 4–6 strips of streaky bacon
- 120 ml (4 oz) cream
- 240 ml (1 cup) chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp flour
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F.
- Place pork loin in the center of a casserole dish surrounded by quartered apples and onions.
- Over medium heat, melt butter with sage and minced garlic. Let cook until fragrant (be careful not to burn garlic) then add the can of hard cider. Increase heat to high and let bubble away until reduced by half.
- Drizzle cider and sage sauce over the pork loin, apples and onions. Toss together until everything is evenly coated in sauce. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cover pork loin with strips of bacon.
- Bake in the oven for 45 min-1 hour. Temperatures will vary with every oven so rely on a meat thermometer to tell you when the pork is ready. The temperature of the center of the loin should reach 145F/63C. Check it after 45 minutes to see if pork is cooked through and if not continue cooking and check again after 10-15 minutes. Be careful not to overcook as pork easily becomes dry when overcooked.
- When pork, apples and onions are finished roasting, remove loin, onions and apples from casserole dish and place on a serving dish.
- Transfer roasting juices from the casserole dish to a medium saucepan. Add 1 cup (240 ml) of chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Let bubble for 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add 120 ml (4 oz) cream mixed with 2 tsp of flour. Stir in let simmer for a minute or so until sauce thickens then add 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard. Mix until thoroughly combined. Let simmer for a minute then remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Category: Pork
- Method: roasting
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: roast, pork loin, cider, bacon, apples, onions