I could go on and on about how salty, sweet, crunchy, satisfying and generally great this stir-fry can be in a long story. Or I can just get down to the reasons why I love this recipe so much:
- It’s easy
- It’s quick
- It’s healthy
- It’s cheap to make
If, like me, you ever find yourself in a situation where you are tired from a long day and need to throw together a healthy dinner in a hurry, then this is the dish for you. The most time consuming part of this recipe is marinating the chicken and chopping up the veg – small sacrifices when you consider the end result which is a tasty homemade dinner of chicken and fresh vegetables.
2-3 chicken breasts
2 lemongrass stalks
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
5-6 garlic cloves
2 inch/4.5 cm of ginger (peeled and thinly sliced)
1 carrot (thinly sliced)
1-2 cups (about 200g) of green beans (washed, ends cut off)
1 red bell pepper
a handful of your favorite mushrooms (white, shitake, oyster and king oyster work best for this)
1 tablespoon of fish sauce
a handful of Thai basil
2-4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Puree lemongrass, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp of sliced ginger and 1 tbsp of oil together.
- Toss mixture with diced chicken and let marinate for 30 min-1 hour.
- Meanwhile, wash and cut vegetables into bite sized pieces (about 1 in/2cm long. Slice ginger and remaining garlic cloves.
- When ready to cook, place a large wok over high heat. When the wok is good and hot, add marinated chicken. Stir-fry until cooked and no longer pink (about 3-5 minutes). Remove chicken and set aside on a plate nearby.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the same wok and heat over high heat. Add sliced ginger and 2-3 cloves of sliced garlic and stir-fry for a minute or so until fragrant.
- Next, add the mushrooms and stir fry until browned.
- Then add sliced carrot and green beans. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes over high heat then add cooked chicken.
- Stir-fry together and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped red bell pepper and stir-fry for a minute or so.
- Turn off heat, add fresh Thai basil, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 tbsp of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of fish sauce. Stir everything together until everything is evenly coated.
- Cover with a lid and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!