Creamy and sweet tomato soup with a slightly smokey finish thanks to bacon and red bell pepper. This is the ultimate comfort soup. #soup #bacon #tomato #comfortfood
- 3 strips of streaky bacon
- 1 medium onion (finely diced)
- 3–4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 medium carrot (finely diced)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2–3 stalks of celery with leaves (about 1/2 cup finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3–4 cups (700 ml-1 Liter) chicken broth
- 2 * 14 oz/400 g cans of stewed tomatoes (chopped or whole, either is fine)
- 1–2 handfuls of fresh basil (about 1/2 cup chopped)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 oz (100 ml) heavy cream
- Cook 3 strips of bacon in a large pot over medium/low heat.
- When crispy and brown, remove from pot and set aside. Leaving, the bacon grease in the pot, add diced onion, minced garlic, diced carrot, diced red pepper and chopped celery. Season with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Cook on medium/low heat until vegetables are soft.
- Add flour, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and tomatoes and stir together. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Once bubbly, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes.
- After 30 min has passed, add the basil and sugar. Puree with an immersion blender, food processor or blender.
- Return to stovetop and let cook together for 2-3 minutes then add a touch of cream, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Cut cooked bacon into strips or into smaller pieces, whichever you prefer.
- Turn off heat, transfer to bowls and garnish with a drizzle of cream, a sprinkling of bacon and fresh basil. Serve with your favorite toasted sandwiches and enjoy!
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: Tomato Soup, bacon, red bell pepper, basil, comfort food