Beef noodles wok-fried with sliced onion, bell peppers and vegetables then tossed in a salty soy sauce. Great as a main dish or side. #noodles #beef #stirfry #easyrecipes #healthyrecipes #familydinners
400–500g/14-18oz beef topside or tender chuck beef
2 bell peppers (the choice is up to you in regards to color)
1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
5 cm (2 in) ginger (thinly sliced)
1 medium carrot (thinly sliced)
4–6 tablespoons of cooking oil
600g/21.6oz Udon noodles (you don’t have to use Udon noodles, you can use any kind of noodle you like but just make sure that the noodles are not seasoned as it will result in a dish that is too salty)
4–5 scallions (white parts separated from the green parts)
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp meat tenderizer
1–2 oz of beer or wine
freshly cracked black pepper
sesame seeds (for garnish)
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 tsp sriracha (optional)
1 tsp sugar
- Cut the beef into thin strips and place in a bowl with 1 tsp of meat tenderizer, soy sauce, freshly cracked black pepper and a splash of two of wine or beer. Toss to combine and let marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, garlic, Sriracha and sugar. Mix together and set aside.
- Cut the bell peppers into thin strips and add to thinly sliced carrot and thinly sliced onion. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Separate the white parts of the scallions from the green parts. Cut the white parts into longer strips about 1inch/2cm long and cut the green parts finely into small pieces.
- In a large wok, heat 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil on high heat. When oil and wok is hot, add the sliced ginger, white scallions and marinated beef. Cook for 3-4 minutes until beef is no longer pink. Remove from heat and set aside on a plate nearby.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a large wok and heat on high heat. When oil and wok in hot, add the sliced carrot, bell peppers and sliced onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes, constantly stirring on high heat. Vegetables should still be crisp.
- Add cooked beef mixture to the wok with the vegetables. Stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cold udon to the wok and toss to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes until noodles have picked up the heat of the wok. NEVER ADD HOT UDON NOODLES TO THE WOK (they will stick together).
- Add sauce mixture, toss to combine until everything is evenly coated. Cook for 1-2 minutes on high heat then remove from the stove.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green scallions. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Beef, Noodles
- Method: Stir-fry
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Chow Mein, noodles, beef, vegetables, stir-fry, healthy, udon