Level up your tofu stir-fry
In Asia, people know how to cook vegetarian dishes and tofu in particular. Vegetarian curries in India, hot stone bowl Bibimbop in Korea and all the various vibrant stir-fries of Southeast Asia. It’s difficult to pick a favorite. They know how to handle them and they have a plethora of spices, seasonings and sauces to go with them. Case in point, Chinese fermented yellow soybean paste, aka huáng jiàng. It’s kind of like the Chinese version of miso paste only a little bit different in flavor and texture.
It might look a little scary but nothing brings quite the umami as much as this yellow soybean paste. Especially when it comes to cooking tofu which has a proven track record of difficulty adding flavor into. Mix it together with a little bit of soy sauce or chopped red chili and add it to ingredients like noodles, tofu and other stir-fried vegetables for a tasty vegetarian dish.
If you are one of those people who think vegetarian or vegan food can be a little boring, try this recipe. It’ll make you consider a trip to this delicious part of the world and even reconsider vegetarian cuisine.
Tofu and Shitake mushrooms stir-fried with ginger and garlic then coated in a delicious soybean sauce. Serve as a side dish or as a main course. #tofu #stirfry #mushrooms #Chinesefoodrecipes #vegan #vegetarian #quickrecipes
- 3–4 large king oyster mushrooms or 10–20 shitake mushrooms
- 300g (10.5 oz) firm tofu
- 2 tbsp ginger (sliced)
- 2 tbsp garlic (sliced)
- 1 tbsp Chinese fermented soybean paste (minced)
- 2–3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Cut tofu and mushrooms into chunks and thinly slice both the ginger and garlic. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tbsp Chinese fermented soybean paste, 1 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp soy sauce. Mix together until thoroughly combined and set aside.
- In a large wok, heat 2-3 tbsp of cooking oil on high heat.
- When oil is hot, add the tofu and fry until slightly browned and crispy.
- Add ginger and garlic and stir for a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and stir-fry on high heat for 2-3 minutes until everything is cooked and crisp.
- Add the soybean sauce mixture and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes then remove from heat and serve.
- Category: Sides, Main, Vegetarian
- Method: Stir-Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Chinese, Tofu, mushrooms, stir-fry, vegan, vegetarian
Eat more tofu with these tasty recipes: