A British-Italian pasta classic of tomato sauce, fresh herbs, red wine and beef. This spaghetti bolognese is both great comfort food and a family favorite. #familydinners #comfortfood #pasta #sauce #beef #spaghetti
- 3 strips of bacon (finely chopped)
- 1 large onion (diced small)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 medium-sized carrot (diced small)
- 1 cup chopped celery with leaves (diced small)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (leaves separated from the stalk)
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano (chopped)
- 4 tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
- 300g (10.5 oz) beef mince
- 120ml (4 oz)red wine
- 400g (14 oz) can of stewed tomatoes
- 680g (24 oz) Passata (tomato sauce)
- 475ml (2 cups) beef stock
- 1–2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- In a large pot, add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil and heat on a medium flame.
- Chop up the bacon into small pieces and cook in the oil until the fat on the back has crisped slightly.
- Next, add the minced garlic, small diced onion, carrot and celery. Cook with the bacon until all the vegetables have softened and are beginning to brown.
- When vegetables have softened, add minced beef, chopped oregano, chopped basil, thyme and bay leaves. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the meat has browned and is no longer pink.
- Increase heat to high and add the wine so as to deglaze the pan. Stir and bring to a boil to allow for the alcohol to cook off (this shouldn’t take too long, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, and beef stock. Stir together and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 1-2 hours until the sauce has thickened and all flavors have married together.
- Season with salt and pepper at the end and the additional tablespoon or so of sugar if necessary.
- Serve atop your favorite pasta and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Pasta, Sauce
- Method: stew
- Cuisine: British, Italian
Keywords: Spaghetti, meat sauce, comfort food, pasta, family dinners, tomato