Niurou lamian is a Hui dish from Western China consisting of beef bone broth stewed with spices, fresh noodles, chopped scallions, cilantro and Chinese chile oil. #beef #noodles #Chinesefoodrecipes #soup
- 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) beef soup bones
- 2–3 stalks of celery with leaves attached
- 5 shallots (cut in half)
- 1 head of garlic (crushed)
- 6 cloves
- 1/2 small cinnamon stick
- 4 bay leaves
- 8 cm/3-inch ginger (peeled and sliced)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Szechuan peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp white peppercorns
- 2 green cardamom (crushed)
- 3–5 L (100 fl oz –170 fl oz) water
- 1 medium-sized daikon
- cilantro (finely chopped)
- scallions (finely chopped)
- Chinese Chile Oil
- freshly made noodles (cooked)
- Chinese black vinegar (optional)
- light soy sauce (optional)
- 300–400g (10.5 -14 oz) topside
- Preheat oven to 220C/450F.
- Place beef bones, celery, garlic and shallots in a large baking tray then generously sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven at 220C/450F for an hour.
- Transfer browned bones, celery, garlic and shallots along with any of the roasting juices into the large stockpot along with peeled and sliced ginger, spices and water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for 4-5 hours. Remove any scum that might bubble to the top with a slotted spoon. The longer it simmers, the better it’ll be so let it simmer for as long as you can.
- When ready, separate the stock from the bones and spices using a sieve.
- Remove any meat from the bones, roughly chop it up and add it to the stock.
- Discard bones and spices.
- Chop the daikon into thin half-moons and add to the stock.
- Bring stock to a boil and cook until white radish is tender. This shouldn’t take long (about 2-3 minutes)
- Season with salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, season topside on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to a frying pan and sear on medium-high heat on both sides (should be 2-3 minutes on each side).
- Take out of the pan and let rest for 5 minutes then thinly slice.
- Put noodles in a bowl then top with chopped cilantro, scallions and thinly sliced beef .
- Fill the bowl with ladles of soup and add a splash of chile oil and black vinegar (optional). Serve hot!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Category: Soup, Noodles
- Method: simmering
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Chinese, beef, noodle, soup, niurou lamian, Chinese soup, Chinese beef noodle, lamian, niurou