This version of mulligatawny is kicked up a bit with Indian spice and hearty beef. Substitutions can be made for a vegetarian/vegan option. #beef #rice #spicy #soup
- 2 tbsp tamarind puree
- 6–12 dried red chiles
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tsp black mustard seed
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp salt
- 10–12 curry leaves
- 5cm (2tbsp) ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 2.5 L water (10.5 cups) or beef stock
- 4 onions (thinly sliced)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 can full cream evaporated milk (~375ml/12.6oz)
- 300–400g (10.5oz-14oz) topside beef
- 4 cups (~630g) cooked Basmati rice
- handful of coriander/cilantro (to garnish)
- pickled shallots (to garnish)
- In a food processor combine tamarind, chiles, garlic, mustard seed, fenugreek, black peppercorns, salt, curry leaves, turmeric, cumin and ginger together with 1 cup of water. Blend until smooth.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions and cook until carmelized.
- When nice and brown, add the spice puree and the remaining water (or beef stock).
- Boil together for 30 minutes on high heat.
- After 30 minutes, turn heat down to low and stir in evaporated milk. Let simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Season topside with salt and pepper on each side.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan or skillet over medium high heat.
- When oil is hot, sear topside for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Take out and let rest for 5-10 minutes then slice into thin strips and set aside.
- To assemble the dish, put 1-2 spoonfuls of cooked Basmati rice in the center. Place 3-4 strips of topside on top on the rice and ladle over hot soup on top. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and pickled shallots. Enjoy!
- Can be made vegetarian or vegan. Just substitute the butter with olive oil, the evaporated milk with coconut milk, the beef stock with vegetable stock or water, and the beef with eggplant, mushroom or your favorite vegetarian protein.
- Category: Soup, Beef
- Method: simmering, searing
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Soup, Beef, Spicy, Rice, mulligatawny, Indian, onions, Indian spices, tamarind, curry