This pastry is inspired by the British classic of mushrooms on toast. Puff pastry wrapped around mushrooms, bacon and scallions and topped with cheese. #breakfast #mushrooms #cheese #pastry
- 3–4 Puff pastry sheets (cut into squares 3–4 in/7.5–10 cm on each side)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 400 g (14 oz) mushrooms ( I use king oyster mushrooms because I like the texture but you can use whichever is your favorite)
- 7–8 strips of back bacon (cut into 1in/2cm squares)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 shallots (sliced)
- 1 cup (about 1 large bunch) chopped scallions
- 100 g (3.5 oz) shredded cheddar cheese (a Welsh cheddar works great here if you can find it)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Wash and thinly slice mushrooms.
- In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium/medium-high heat, add shallots and mushrooms and let cook until soft and brown.
- After mushrooms have browned, turn off the heat.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and chopped scallions and mix together.
- In the center of the puff pastry square, stack 2 squares of bacon in the center.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the mushroom mix on top.
- Next, fold side corners in, followed by bottom corner up and top corner down.
- Brush with beaten egg and top with a sprinkling of shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 450F/220C for 30-35 minutes or until crisp and brown.
- Perfect when paired with a strong cup of tea or coffee.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking, Sauteing
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Pastries, mushrooms, cheese, breakfast, cheddar, scallions