My desperate psychological need to feed people makes me obsessive over whether or not my friends and family eat breakfast. In my previous jobs, I used to have a small breakfast delivery business where I catered meals to my colleagues every working morning, delivered hot on their desk. Making hot breakfasts from scratch 5 days a week for 3-4 people is just not feasible anymore now that I have a baby who tends to get very active around 5:30AM.
Still, I am concerned whether or not my husband feeds himself in the morning. Hence, the reason for these breakfast pastries. A British classic of mushrooms, bacon, shallots and Worcestershire sauce bundled in buttery puff pastry and topped with a sprinkle of cheese is difficult to refuse. These ‘Mushroom on Toast’ pastries are perfect for brunch or package them up for a breakfast on the go, I guarantee that you’ll want to be eating these all week long.
‘Mushrooms on Toast’ Pastries
- 3-4 Puff pastry sheets (cut into squares 3-4 in/7.5-10 cm on each side)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 400g (14oz) mushrooms ( I use king oyster mushrooms because I like the texture but you can use whichever is your favorite)
- 7-8 strips of back bacon (cut into 1in/2cm squares)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 shallots (sliced)
- 1 cup (about 1 large bunch) chopped scallions
- 100g (3.5 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Wash and thinly slice mushrooms.
- In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium/medium high heat, add shallots and mushrooms and let cook until soft and brown.
- After mushrooms have browned, turn off heat.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and chopped scallions and mix together.
- In the center of the puff pastry square, stack 2 squares of bacon in the center.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of mushroom mix on top.
- Next, fold side corners in, followed by bottom corner up and top corner down.
- Brush with beaten egg and top with a sprinkling of shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 450F/220C for 30-35 minutes or until crisp and brown.
- Perfect when paired with a strong cup of tea or coffee.