Arroz con pollo is a great one-pot family dinner perfect for a weeknight. Your family will love this cheesy chicken and rice recipe. #chicken #rice #easymeals #familydinners #cheese #onepot
- 1 1/2 cup long-grained rice (rinsed and drained)
- 5 cups (a little under 1.2 L ) water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen, either is good)
- 2 cups (150g) sliced button mushrooms
- 2 red ripe tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- a small handful of cilantro (washed and drained)
- 1 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Mexican Chile powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- a sprinkling of black pepper
- 5 oz (142 g) grated cheddar cheese (or more if you are a cheese freak)
- 2–3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2–3 chicken breasts (diced into 2 cm chunks)
- In a food processor, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, cumin, Mexican Chile powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Blitz in the food processor until you have reached the desired texture of your salsa (this can be completely smooth or a little chunky-the choice is yours!)
- In a medium saucepan, add bouillon cubes to water and bring to a boil. Once at a boil and cubes have completely dissolved to make a broth, reduce heat to low and let simmer.
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat 2 tbsp oil on medium-high heat. Add peas and mushrooms and sauté until vegetables have picked up the color (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add rice to pan and toast with peas and mushrooms for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato salsa and stir. Cook for 1-2 minutes to allow the rice to take on the moisture in the salsa.
- Add diced chicken and stir together. Cook for 1-2 minutes until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth to rice mixture, stir and continue cooking on high heat until the majority of the liquid has absorbed into the rice then add another 1 cup, stir and cook until that liquid has absorbed.
- Add the remainder of the chicken broth and turn down the heat to allow a low simmer. Cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until rice is cooked thoroughly (cooked through but firm and not mushy) The rice should be cooked but with a good amount of sauce remaining.
- Turn off heat and stir in some grated cheese. Serve with tortilla chips and your favorite hot sauce.
- Category: Main, One Pot
- Method: simmering
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Chicken with rice, arroz con pollo, chicken, rice, mushrooms, salsa, cheese, one pot, peas, arroz