Let me begin by saying that there are a lot of really good Thai yellow curry paste recipes out there. These recipes are beautiful, sophisticated and authentic and require patience, time, and careful detail. There was a time in my life when I would happily have spent the entire day meticulously collecting ingredients, smoking or roasting them to perfection and grinding them with mortar and pestle for these curry pastes. In the pursuit of divine Thai curry for the most sumptuous and layered curry, I would have been happy to slave away all day for it.
However, times have changed and I have a baby. When she is not teething, crying or in need of a diaper change, she keeps me busy by decorating the kitchen floor with spices, drawing on the table, and relocating everything that is on a table to the floor. You know…as you do. So you can imagine that if I don’t have time to even go pee then I just don’t have time for those wonderful and painstaking recipes.
Still, I love yellow curry and as if true with most things, homemade is best made. So when the 30 min or so of the opportunity known as ‘free time’ presents itself to me, I take advantage of it by busting out this Thai yellow curry paste. Whether it for the lazy or for those who are hard-pressed for time, this paste delivers what you are craving with loads of spice and flavor. I did cheat by adding sambal belacan paste which is a popular and essential ingredient found in most Malaysian cooking. It’s got the right amount of chili, lime and shrimp paste that give the curry that ‘ummphh’ a good paste should have. Look for it in the Asian food aisle of your local grocery store or order it online.
Make your own delicious Thai Curry at home with the help of this easy Thai Yellow Curry Paste recipe. You’ll never want to eat store bought again. #thaifoodrecipes #curry
- 2 tbsp sambal Belacan paste (Malaysian chili condiment with shrimp paste and lime, should be available in the Asian aisle of the grocery store, online, or markets catered to Asian foods)
- 3 tbsp cilantro stems
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 tbsp ginger
- 3 tbsp garlic
- 2 tbsp shallots
- 2 stalks lemongrass (about 2 tbsp)
- 3 tbsp oil
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until pureed and thoroughly mixed together.
- Keep in the refrigerator in a sealed container for no more than a week or divide mixture into 3 tbsp portions and freeze in ziplock bags for longer. As paste does not contain any sugar or salt, remember to season your curry dishes with sugar and fish sauce at the end.
Cilantro stems have a milder flavor than the leaves thus giving you less of a ‘soapy’ flavor, however, you need to make sure you washed them well.
- Category: Condiment, Sauce
- Method: Puree
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: curry paste, Thai, yellow curry, Belacan, cilantro, curry, lemongrass, turmeric, ginger, garlic, shallots