A green chili stuffed with cheese, dipped in an egg batter and fried to a golden brown then smothered in a spicy tomato sauce. #meatless #cheese #spicyrecipes
- 8 green chilies
- 100–120 g/3.5-4.2 oz Monterey Jack Cheese ( or whichever cheese you prefer)
- 4 Eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 tbsp flour
- Oil for frying
- 2 medium red tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- small handful of cilantro
- 2 tsp Mexican Chile powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Wash and dry green chilies and place in an oven on high heat (250C/500C).
- Cook chilies in oven on high heat until they begin to blister (this should take about 5-10 min).
- Take out chilies and place in Ziploc bag or Tupperware container with a tight lid.
- Seal up the hot chilies in bag or container and allow to steam until chilies are soft (around 20min).
- When cool enough to handle, remove the waxy skin from the pepper then cut into the side of the green chilies and scoop out seeds with a teaspoon. If you are feeling like you need the heat, leave the remaining seeds in the pepper.
- Carefully stuff green chilies with cheese and set aside.
- Crack eggs open and separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Add flour to yolks and mix thoroughly until smooth with no lumps.
- Add a pinch of salt to egg white and beat with a whisk or mixer until stiff peaks are formed.
- Gently fold in flour and yolk mixture into egg whites.
- Add a generous amount of oil to a non-stick frying pan and heat over medium/high heat.
- When oil is hot, dip stuffed green chile into egg batter and place in frying pan. Feel free to have a spoonful of batter on top to cover a chile is left exposed.
- Fry until golden on bottom then gently flip.
- When golden brown on both sides, remove from oil.
- Top with spicy tomato sauce and place in oven for a minute or two.
- Serve hot and garnish with finely chopped tomato and fresh cilantro.
- In blender or food processor, combine tomato, shallots, garlic, cilantro, Mexican Chile powder, cumin and chicken broth together until smooth.
- Cook in a saucepan over medium/medium high heat until flavors have blended together and sauce has reduced by about a quarter.
- Salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Serve over chiles rellenos and enjoy.
- Category: Main
- Method: frying
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Chiles rellenos, Mexican, chile, cheese, spicy