Shortcrust sausage rolls made from homemade pork sausage mixed with sage onions and baked into buttery pastry. How to make sausage rolls right. #pastry #sausage #pork #recipes #britishrecipes
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- 1–2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs (1 for the sausage roll mixture, 1 for the egg wash)
- 1–2 shortcrust or puff pastry sheets
Sausage roll filling:
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 250 g pork belly
- 250 g pork shoulder
Homemade sausage roll mix
- Place meat in the freezer until cold and stiff.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the meat into small cubes no bigger than 1 cm / 0.5 in big.
- Place in a large mixing bowl and add thyme, marjoram, black pepper, sea salt, garlic powder, and nutmeg. Toss or mix together until everything is evenly coated in spice.
- If you are using a meat grinder, add the seasoned pork to the grinder and mince. If you are not so lucky as to have a meat grinder hanging around, you can put the meat along with a splash of beer into a food processor and blitz until you have reached the desired consistency. Be warned that this can be hard on your food processor so proceed with caution. This also runs the risk of overworking the sausage mixture, so try not to overdo it.
- Once everything is minced, place in the refrigerator or freezer to chill until ready to use. As always, coldness is key when it comes to making sausage, so keep it cold!
Sausage Roll Assembly
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and cook onions and sage until translucent and lightly brown. Let cool.
- When onions have cooled, add them to the sausage mixture along with the breadcrumbs and 1 egg.
- Carefully combine them all together until everything is evenly dispersed.
- If using a large square of short pastry, cut the pastry sheet in half dividing it into 2 rectangular sheets.
- Divide sausage roll meat and neatly line down the center.
- Fold over pastry, seal the edges with your fingers and crimp. Lightly cut slits at the top.
- Cut into pieces about 1-2 inches/ 2-4.5 cm long.
- Repeat with remaining sausage mix and pastry sheets.
- Place on a baking tray and lightly coat with the beaten egg wash mixture.
- Bake in the oven until pastry is golden brown and the sausage filling is cooked, this should take about 30-45 min. If you are having trouble getting it golden brown, move the baking tray up a level or two in the oven under the top broiler for the last 5-10 minutes.
If you don’t want to go through the trouble of mincing the pork yourself, ask your butcher if they can do it for you. Most of the time, they are happy to help. If not, you can try your hand at using regular pork mince found at the store. Just make sure that it has a higher fat percentage otherwise your sausage rolls will be dry and sad.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Sausage, homemade sausage mixture, pastry, pork, sausage rolls, sausage roll, sage onions, shortcrust, puff pastry, homemade sausage rolls, how to make sausage rolls