Change up the pace with this authentic Chinese recipe for Kung Pao Chicken. Stir-fried chicken in a spicy soy vinegar sauce with leeks and peanuts. #chicken #stirfry #chinesefoodrecipes #quickrecipes #Szechuan
- 2 chicken breasts (diced in 2 cm/ 1 in cubes)
- 2–3 leeks or large scallions (white parts only, diced 1 cm thick)
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- 3–6 dried red chilies
- 1 tsp Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tbsp garlic (sliced)
- 2 tbsp ginger (finely diced)
- 4 tbsp cooking oil (something that can stand HIGH heat)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed in 3 tbsp water
Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or sherry
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Toss diced chicken in salt, pepper, soy sauce, wine and cornstarch and let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine soy sauce, sugar and vinegar and set aside.
- On high heat, add about 2 tbsp of oil to a large wok.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring the chicken constantly until it is no longer pink. This should take about 2-3 minutes (depending on heat of wok).
- Remove chicken with a slotted spoon from wok and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil into wok and cook dried chilies and Szechuan peppercorns on medium-high heat in a wok for about a minute or two until the mixture has infused into the oil, being careful not to burn the chilies. You’ll know when the chilies have infused when the oil picks up a reddish color and the red chilies begin to turn a darker color.
- With a slotted spoon or using a sieve, separate the chilies and peppercorns from the oil and discard.
- Add ginger and sliced garlic to the infused chili oil in the wok and cook on high heat for a minute or so.
- Add leeks/scallions, stir and cook for another minute or so.
- Return chicken to the mixture, stir and cook for about a minute.
- Add the peanuts to the mix. Stir.
- Add sauce and mix, allowing sauce mixture to coat everything.
- Finally, add cornstarch and water solution to the wok and cook for a minute or so until sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat, serve with rice and enjoy!
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Stir-Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Kung Pao Chicken, chicken, stir-fry, Szechuan, Chinese recipes, peanuts, spicy