A simple, cheesy and creamy stove top mac n’ cheese that is loaded with veg that is sure to please. Can be made in 20 min or less. #kidfood #easysidedish #vegetarianrecipes #familydinners #macandcheese
- 200 g/7 oz macaroni/shells/spirals (whichever you prefer and/or have in your cupboard)
- 150 g/1 cup frozen peas
- 390 g/~13.2 oz full cream evaporated milk
- 130 g/a little over 4 oz grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- chopped scallion or crispy onions to garnish (optional)
- black pepper
- Bring water to boil in a large pot on the stove over high heat. Add pasta and frozen peas. Cook until al dente or until they are at the desired texture. Drain.
- In a medium to large saucepan, warm evaporated milk over medium heat.
- Add 1 tbsp of Dijon and a pinch of nutmeg and whisk to combine.
- When mixture starts to bubble, slowly whisk in the grated cheese a little at a time. Continue to whisk mixture for 2-3 minutes until fully incorporated in and sauce is creamy and cheesy.
- Turn heat down to low and continue to cook until thick and bubbly (about 2-5 min).
- Turn off heat and stir in pasta and peas.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with chopped tomatoes and scallions or crispy onions any other kind of veg you enjoy.
- Category: main, pasta
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: mac and cheese, pasta, cheese, macaroni, kid food, vegetarian, easy side dish