Show off your culinary prowess with these chicken cordon bleu balls. Meatballs stuffed with cheese & ham then coated in panko & fried. Great for holiday entertaining! #partyfoods #chickenrecipes #cheese #appetizer
- 500 g (~18 oz) ground chicken (or turkey mince, it works just as well)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp plain Italian breadcrumbs
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- a sprinkling of freshly cracked black pepper
- 3–4 large slices of ham (cut into 2 cm/1 inch squares)
- 100–120 g Emmental (Swiss) cheese cut into 1 cm cubes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup plain Panko breadcrumbs
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, fresh thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, 1 egg and breadcrumbs until thoroughly combined.
- Using a spoon, separate chicken into meatballs roughly 2 cm/1 inch in diameter.
- Using your fingertips flatten the balls as much as you can.
- In the center, add a piece of ham with a cheese cube on top.
- Gently lift up the edges of the chicken so that it is cupping the ham and cheese inside, forming a bowl.
- Transfer the ‘bowl’ to your hand and carefully fold over the edges together and round it out to form a sealed meatball.
- After you finish forming all the sealed meatballs, roll each ball first in flour, then in beaten egg, and lastly in panko breadcrumbs.
- Fry in hot oil for 5 -7 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. You can also choose to bake them in the oven. Just lightly spritzed them with vegetable oil or cooking spray and bake in a preheated oven at 200 C (400 F) for 25-30 min.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Appetizer/Starter, Snacks
- Method: frying/baking
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: Chicken Cordon Bleu, party food, chicken, ham, cheese, appetizer, starter, breadcrumbs, fried, baked