This Indian spiced carrot bhaji recipe is great to serve as a starter, cocktail party hors d’oeuvres or as an accompaniment to a curry. #vegetarian #easyrecipes #appetizer #carrot #lemon #yogurt
2 large carrots (peeled and grated) ~about 2 1/2 cups
1 medium onion (grated)~about 1 cup
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp -1 tsp red chile powder (depends on spice preference)
2 tbsp cornstarch
4 tbsp flour
freshly cracked black pepper
Coriander/cilantro to garnish (optional)
1 cup/245g plain Greek yogurt
2–3 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp sea salt
2 scallions (chopped)
a sprinkling of freshly cracked black pepper
- Combine grated carrots and onion in a mixing bowl and combine.
- Sprinkle with spices and sea salt and toss together.
- Add cornstarch and flour and combine to make a dough.
- Using your hands or a tablespoon, form dough into balls around 1in/2cm in diameter.
- Add oil to a medium non-stick frying pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add carrot bhaji balls and fry until crispy on both sides.
- Take out and drain excess oil on paper towels and sprinkle with freshly cracked black pepper.
- Serve with a yogurt dipping sauce.
- Combine yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, salt, scallions and black pepper together and blend in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Vegetarian, Starter, Side
- Method: frying
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Carrot, Indian spice, fried, appetizer, vegetarian, yogurt, lemon