How the apple churros were born
I don’t just want any donut. No, I want an apple fritter with chunks of apple clogging the batter. I want it to be crispy from frying and glossy from a sugar glaze. I want it to be the beginning and end-all to all apple fritters.
So, how to combine all elements together? How to make a fritter with moist, buttery dough and chunks of apple? The solution is simple when you consider it. Just throw some chopped apples into a Churro dough and fry it up then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
The end result is everything I crave in an apple fritter and I couldn’t be happier. Although not traditional or even healthy, these apple churros are damn good and satiate my craving each and every time.
Apple Churros (Apple Fritters made with Churro Dough)
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 1-2 dozen fritters 1x
Apple churros are a hybrid of apple fritters and spiced Churro mix. Part apple fritter, part Churro, all fried and coated in cinnamon sugar. #apple #churros #desserts #sweets #cinnamonsugar
- 1 (240 ml) cup water
- ½ cup (110 g) butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2–3 apples finely chopped and peeled (you are free to use any apple you like but I find Fuji apples work best)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (about an inch/2cm long)
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 4 cloves
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- Oil for frying
- Sugar and cinnamon for dusting
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, butter, salt, diced apple, brown sugar, cinnamon stick, cloves and nutmeg together.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a low simmer and let cook for 10 minutes, allowing all the elements to marry together.
- Turn off heat and remove cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Slowly sift in 1 cup of flour and stir vigorously to form a ball.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, and then slowly add 3 beaten eggs to the mixture and mix thoroughly. It should resemble thick cake batter.
- Over medium/medium-high heat, heat oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- When oil is hot, add a dollop of batter into the oil using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop. If you are so inclined, you can transfer the batter to a pastry bag and use that but if you can’t be bothered like me, fry it up fritter style.
- Fry fritters until golden brown on the bottom then flip over and fry in the same manner.
- Once golden brown on each side, remove and let drain on paper towels to soak up excess oil.
- Sprinkle with a mixture of ground cinnamon and sugar and enjoy!
- Serve with dulce de leche for dunking or drizzle with a salted caramel sauce.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: Churro, apple fritter, cinnamon, sugar, apples, donuts
Get more apple goodness with these recipes:
Cinnamon and Clove Spiced Apple and Pear Crumble
Crispy chicken thighs stuffed with apple and bacon
Pork Loin Roasted with Bacon, Apple and Sage