Mushrooms cooked in a Thai chili sauce with coconut milk and Thai basil then stuffed into an omelette seasoned with ginger and garlic. #mushrooms #thai #omelette #spicy
- 200 g (~7 oz) sliced Shitake mushrooms or a mixture of whichever is your favorite type of mushroom
- 3 oz (~90 ml) coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Thai chili paste (Nam Prik Pao)
- 3 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 2 tbsp shallots (thinly sliced)
- handful fresh Thai basil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1–2 tbsp oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp ginger
- pinch of salt
- pinch of chili flakes (optional)
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat 1-2 tbsp of oil over medium/medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic and stir fry for a minute or so until mixture becomes fragrant.
- Add sliced mushrooms and stir fry until mushrooms are cooked and slightly browned.
- Add Thai chili paste and coconut milk and cook for a minute or so until mixture is thoroughly combined and bubbly. Turn off heat and add a handful of torn Thai basil leaves, fish sauce and sugar.
- Stir to combine, cover and let rest for 1-2 minutes.
- Crack eggs into a mixing bowl.
- Finely grate ginger and garlic and add to egg mixture along with a pinch of salt and red chili flakes (optional). Whisk together until mixture is one consistency (yolks and whites are properly mixed together).
- In a non-stick frying pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and heat on high flame.
- When oil is HOT, add half of the egg mixture and fry.
- Turn heat down to low and cover omelette for 30 sec or until top of omelette is cooked.
- Add mushroom mixture to center of omelette, fold over and carefully transfer to a plate.
- Repeat steps for an additional omelette.
- Serve with a side of jasmine rice and Thai chili sauce. Enjoy!
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: Thai chili, mushrooms, omelette, spicy,