I fondly remember this Chinese cucumber side dish as being a big hit with kids. When so many times, I found myself battling with children to eat their vegetables, I never had a problem getting any of my students to finish their cucumber at lunchtime. AND honestly, why wouldn’t they like it? Crushed cucumber, seasoned with salt, a touch of sesame oil and black vinegar-I’d happily devour that.
Serve either as a cool vegetable side dish for when the weather is hot or as a starter to dumplings. I guarantee you’ll be equally as fond.
A traditional Chinese side dish of crushed cucumber with garlic, sesame oil and Chinese black vinegar. Serve with dumplings for a tasty meal. #chinesefoodrecipes #salad #cucumber #healthy #recipe
- 2–3 small /medium sized cucumbers
- 2–3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Chinese black vinegar or rice vinegar (whichever you have handy)
- sea salt
- Wash and dry the cucumbers.
- Take a rolling pin and roll it over the cucumbers, smashing them in the process.
- Roughly chop then up with a knife into bite sized pieces then transfer to a bowl.
- Top with minced garlic, rice vinegar and sesame oil.
- Toss to combine and season with sea salt to taste.
Keywords: Chinese, cucumber, salad