Always order smashed garlic cucumbers
In China, no plate of dumplings would be complete without a side of sesame and garlic smashed cucumbers to go with it. It’s refreshing, it pairs well with a steaming plate of dumplings and since it is quick and easy to put together, this dish is always the fist to arrive and first to be devoured.
Chinese cucumber salad makes a great kid food
Most of all I fondly remember this Chinese cucumber salad as being a big hit with kids as it was often served with dumplings for either lunch or dinner. When so many times, I found myself battling with my students to eat their vegetables, I never had a problem getting any of my students to finish their cucumbers at lunchtime.
One little boy was especially fond of it, scarfing it down in a matter of seconds. In fact, we couldn’t dish them out fast enough. We always ran out of cucumbers before we ran out of dumplings. AND honestly, why wouldn’t they like it? Crushed cucumber, seasoned with salt, a touch of sesame oil and black vinegar-I’d happily devour that. In fact, I still do.
Serve either as a cool vegetable side dish for when the weather is hot or as a starter to dumplings. I guarantee you’ll be equally as fond.
Sesame and Garlic Cucumbers
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 3-4 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Smashed cucumber with garlic, sesame oil and Chinese black vinegar. Serve this authentic Chinese cucumber salad with dumplings for a tasty meal. #chinesefoodrecipes #salad #cucumber #healthy #recipe
- 2–3 small /medium-sized cucumbers
- 2–3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Chinese black vinegar or rice vinegar (whichever you have handy)
- sea salt
- Wash and dry the cucumbers.
- Take a rolling pin and roll it over the cucumbers, smashing them in the process.
- Roughly chop then up with a knife into bite-sized pieces then transfer to a bowl.
- Top with minced garlic, rice vinegar and sesame oil.
- Toss to combine and season with sea salt to taste.
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Vegetables, salad
- Method: Salad
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Chinese, cucumber, salad, garlic, sesame oil
Easy peasy vegetable recipes:
Sumac Roasted Vegetables with Feta and Lemon
Quick and Easy “Throw it Together” Minted Peas