Fresh thyme, white wine and lemon zest bring out the flavor of this cream of mushroom soup. Great as a starter or pair it with a salad or sandwich for a delicious lunch or dinner. #souprecipes #easyentertaining #mushrooms
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 400 g (14 oz) Shitake mushrooms
- 240 ml (8 oz) white wine
- 950 ml (32 oz) chicken broth
- 200 ml (~7 oz) cream
- 2 tbsp shallots (minced)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1–2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- scallions for garnish
- Using a dampened cloth, wash the mushrooms and remove the fibrous stems. Slice them up and put them in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter over low-medium heat in a saucepan. Add minced shallots, minced garlic and fresh thyme and cook on low-medium heat until soft and fragrant.
- When ready, add mushrooms and sauté until they have darkened, are soft and all the moisture has been cooked off.
- Increase the heat and deglaze the pan with 1 cup of white wine.
- Bring to a boil and let reduce by about 1/4.
- Add chicken stock and cook on medium-high heat for about 7-10 min or until all flavors have married together.
- Reduce heat to low and add cream and lemon zest. Stir and let cook for 3-5 minutes on low to allow the cream and lemon zest to infuse into the soup.
- Using a blender or food processor, take half of the soup out and puree it.
- Add pureed mixture back into the soup, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with chopped scallions. Serve with a crisp garden salad and cheesy garlic bread. Enjoy!
- Category: Soup
- Method: simmering
- Cuisine: Western
Keywords: Mushroom Soup, shitake mushrooms, soup, cream