Indian spiced cheese fritters = heaven in my mouth
Imagine how good a warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie hot and fresh from the oven is. Now, imagine that instead of being sweet, it is cheesy. Instead of chocolate chips, there are bits of green chilies and scallions. This is the best way to describe Masala Cheese Pancakes-a warm, gooey and slightly spicy Indian cheese fritters. My mouth waters just thinking about it.
The origin story: sadness without my cheeseballs
One of my favorite dishes in one of my favorite restaurants in Kuala Lumpur is Masala Cheese Balls at the Gem Restaurant in Little India. I just can’t get enough of them and having to share a serving of these delicious morsels with my dining partners is just devastating to me.
So, you can imagine my enthusiasm and heartbreak when I went to the Gem to celebrate my birthday and the waiter sadly told me that they were all out.
The grief process
At first, I felt anger. How could they?
It was then followed by shock. I can’t believe they don’t have my cheese balls!
AND of course, that was followed by denial. Surely, they must be joking.
After the sadness set in, I came to the realization that I have no balls.
NO BALLS…what a sad and demoralizing fate that is.
However, like a ray of sunlight after the thunderstorm, an epiphany came upon me. If God takes away your balls, the powers that be open up a window of opportunity for you to try and create your own. That’s precisely what I did and although not exactly the same dish, what resulted was equally as delicious and addictive-my very own version of Indian cheese fritters.
Eat alone or with company
Deliciousness aside, these are fairly easy to throw together and great for impressing guests. Perfect as a starter for a dinner party, cocktail hour or holiday get together. Pair with a nice glass of wine or a citrus cocktail and you’ll be set. Serve with your favorite tomato chutney or a spicy cucumber Indian inspired salsa for an added kick of spice. Who needs balls anyway?
Cheesy and gooey with just a touch of spice, these Indian cheese fritters are great as a starter, party food or decadent snack. #vegetarianrecipes #cheese #pancakes #easyentertaining #spicyrecipes #appetizer
- 2 cups/250 g Cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 cup/128 g flour
- 1 green chile (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp scallions (finely chopped)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 cup/245 g plain yogurt
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 medium tomato
- 1–2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 scallions
- 2–3 red birds eye chilies (depends on your tolerance for spice)
- 1–2 tsp madras curry powder (depends on your tolerance for spice)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, black pepper and spices and mix well.
- Add chopped green chilis and scallions and toss to combine.
- Add grated cheddar cheese and mix well so as to incorporate the cheese with the flour.
- Lastly, combine yogurt with the cheese and flour mix and thoroughly combine. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. The dough should be wet and a little sticky.
- Heat a splash of oil in a non-stick frying pan or skillet over low/medium heat.
- Add a tablespoon of the batter to the pan one at a time and cook until golden on each side.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with tomato chutney or cucumber salsa.
- Chop cucumber, tomato, scallions and birds eye chiles and mix together.
- Add lemon juice and curry powder and mix together.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Category: starter, vegetarian
- Method: pan frying
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: cheese, pancakes, masala, spicy, vegetarian, appetizer, Indian cheese fritters, cheese fritters