After the sadness set in, I came to the realization that I have no balls. NO BALLS…what a sad and demoralizing fate that is. However, like a ray of sunlight after the thunder storm, an epiphany came upon me. If God takes away your balls, the powers that be open up a window of opportunity for you to try and create your own. That’s exactly what I did and although not exactly the same dish, what resulted was equally as delicious and addictive.
Masala Cheese Pancakes
- 2 cups/250 g Cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 cup/128 g flour
- 1 green chile (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp scallions (finely chopped)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 cup/245 g plain yogurt
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 medium tomato
- 1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 scallions
- 2-3 red birds eye chilies (depends on your tolerance for spice)
- 1-2 tsp madras curry powder (depends on your tolerance for spice)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, black pepper and spices and mix well.
- Add chopped green chilis and scallions and toss to combine.
- Add grated cheddar cheese and mix well so as to incorporate the cheese with the flour.
- Lastly, combine yogurt with the cheese and flour mix and thoroughly combine. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. Dough should be wet and a little sticky.
- Heat a splash of oil in a non-stick frying pan or skillet over low/medium heat.
- Add a tablespoon of batter to the pan one at a time and cook until golden on each side.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with tomato chutney or cucumber salsa.
- Chop cucumber, tomato, scallions and birds eye chilis and mix together.
- Add lemon juice and curry powder and mix together.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.