Chinese chili oil, aka la jiao, is a must-have condiment for Chinese food. Drizzle over stir-fries for an added kick or mix with black vinegar to make a dipping sauce. #chinesefoodrecipes #spicyrecipes #spicy #chili
- 1 tsp Szechuan peppercorns
- 3 dried red chilis
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 star anise
- 3 tbsp dried red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml cup vegetable oil
- Add all spices and garlic to a container that is able to withstand high temperatures.
- In a dry pan, heat oil on medium-high heat just until it begins to smoke.
- Turn off heat and add oil CAREFULLY to the container of spices and garlic. Let it bubble away until it is cool and all ingredients have infused into the oil.
- When ready, add a spoonful or two to your favorite dish and enjoy.
- Keep in a covered container at room temperature for no more than a month.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Condiment
- Method: simmering
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Chinese oil, la jiao, chili oil, chinese condiments